5/30/2008

Sunflowers Round Two!

Visit: http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/ for more Green Hours ideas.

The first batch of sunflowers did not survive. We planted them with our wildflowers the first time and they seemed to get crowed out and eaten before they could get big. So here are photos of try number 2.

We made seed pots with newspaper.

DSC_0001 DSC_0004 DSC_0007 Planted with sunflower seeds and waited.

DSC_0022

3 wks laterDSC_0102

DSC_0106  We cut off the bottoms of the pots and cut up one side of the pot .  Most of the pots had roots growing through the bottom of the paper. We left the pot intact for planting.

DSC_0110

DSC_0115 They look so small in the ground. We pulled the weeds.

DSC_0118 We put "collars" around each set of plants.

DSC_0123 Hopefully we will have a beautiful view soon! DSC_0124

4 comments:

  1. We have planted sunflowers seeds, several times. It seems the squirrels get them or some just don't sprout. I try to keep them going through the year, by continuing to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! I will be watching to see how your second batch does.

    Thanks for the link,
    Barb-Harmony Art Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really wanting to be apart of this but it won't happen till I get back on the 18th. We are heading to the West coast. I can't wait to see your pretty sunflowers !

    Blessings and ((hugs)) my SSiC
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your newspaper pots. We often use a toilet roll inner tube cut in half. That is easy and 'free' too.

    ReplyDelete


Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Psalms 143:8