1/23/2010

Weekly Wrap Up














From the Heart: Dreary gray winter week. I find myself wishing for warm sun rays and bluer skies. Longing for spring I think.


On the Missionary Field: Good week on the street with the homeless. Lots of prayer. So many are sick with colds and flu, wore out, tired. We serve soup each week and I am alwayed amazed at how much they appreciate it.


We watched a wonderful movie this week: The Soloist. It is the story of one homeless, mentally ill , genius through the eyes of a reporter.  You can review the movie here: http://www.pluggedin.com/videos/2009/Q2/Soloist.aspx You can read more about Nathaniel Ayers here:   http://www.naayers.org/  This is not a movie for younger children.


We are finding more and more folks need to use the food pantry. This means we are busier than ever gathering food.


Around the House: Just keeping afloat! Honest. Its muddy this week so the floors are hard to keep up with, The dust is out of control as we are using the fireplace. All the animals are shedding....( and of course I am whinning!) To top it off the downstairs toilet overflowed. Yucky.


I should find one postitive thing....hmmm. I cleaned and organized my desk area. Got all the laundry done and kept the downstairs bathroom clean.


In the School Room: Nothing new this week. Just staying on track and focusing on finishing in a timely fashion. The gals are really getting the hang of sign language. Nearly done with vocabulary/spelling, literature, and writing.  Biology will go long as we are camped on Anatomy. I am using college level coloring book for this and the gals are loving it.


On the Bookshelve: still reading Max Lucado three in one book: In the Eye of the Storm, He Still Moves Stones and A Gentle Thunder. Also reading Entering the Presence of God by Derek Prince. I long for more time to read!


In the Kitchen: Worked hard this week to make sure meals were planned ahead. Not a lot of time to spend in the kitchen so easy meals that I could do ahead were the ticket.


Oven Fried Chicken, http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,oven_fried_chicken,FF.html  ( so many to choose from!),


Shepherds Pie ( Crockpot style), http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blcass5.htm  This site has so many recipes for Shepherds Pie. We do two kinds: One with beef and potatoe, the other is mexican with beef, refried beans, corn and cornbread.


Beef Tips and Rice, I used a already prepard Beef Tip from the freezer. This is great for the evenings when you have to be out the door early. This is a microwave meal. Rice only takes 20 minutes. So its easy and everyone loves it.


Buffalo Wings ( Crockpot style), I over cooked these. Note to self for next time! They only need 4 hours in the big crockpot. They were yummy anyway.


Leftover night, Trying to cut back on leftovers...not suceeding! But nothing goes to waste.


Breakfast for dinner: Waffles ect.


On the Creative Side: Very busy week with a small amount of time to craft. I worked on crochet. Tore out a lot. I am determined to get it right! Found some very helpful web sites. I like this one as it shows how through video and pictures.



http://www.nexstitch.com/index.html


This one is good too: http://www.hassdesign.com/StitchLegend/


I sit at my computer and do each stitch over and over till I get it! I finally got double crochet down and can do it without thinking. Its the tension that messing me up. When I put it down and come back later I do not seem to have the same tension. I am told this takes practice so thats what I am doing! Lots of it.


 


In the Christmas Box: Its often the wrapping that makes the gift. This weeks free find were mini copper cookie cutters. I plan to use them as package accents. They are adorable!


In the Birthday Box: I think is was Canadagirl who mentioned doing this....so I started one. I found a sweet keepsake gift for 25 cents! I am so excited to find something special to start the box off with.


Sorry no photos. Just so busy and it takes time to download and then upload ect.


 


Thrifty Finds: Cool gift for hubbys birthday for 50 cents. His birthday is next week.
 

3 comments:

  1. I like how you started a Christmas and birthday boxes. How fun and organized.

    Blessings,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to admit muddy seasons are the time I like the least. Sending you a (((BIG HUG))). You are right I was the one who mentioned I was going to spring board your idea of Christmas boxes and do birthday boxes. I have to admit we are not celebrating Christmas any more. I want to do up birthdays much more instead. I need to start collecting now. Ohhh and I will be going to the Value Village near my moms that always has NEAT things. I can't wait to scour over the store !! ((happy dance))


    I am going to have to check out that recipe for crockpot shepherds pie ! I love shepherds pie. [0= I think I am going to spend some time going back and checking out all your links to different things. I sometimes forget to bookmark them. ((blush))


    Keep up the good work on learning your crochet stitches. Practice practice practice is the only way to master it. [0=


    Sending you a HUGE ((HUG)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The encouragement means a lot.


    I know a girl who is homeless right now. It breaks my heart that she could live better but she won't make the choice to do what is right. We've gone and got her 4 times in San Diego, but she seems to always go back to her old life...


    Have a great week.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete


Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Psalms 143:8