9/04/2011

Welcome Fall Goodbye Summer

Hard to believe summer is now behind us and we are heading into a new season. I love Fall!
My vacation with my sister was wonderful. Lots of quality family time, good fellowship, good food, good memories. I had time to write, read and just relax. My vacation was extended when I could not get home due to Hurricane Irene. We fared well during the hurricane. No damage only a power outage. I can only say the Lords hand was on it all as lots of prayers were going up! It was hard not to be home during the storm with my family.
Our School
I am so glad I did 9 weeks of lesson plans before leaving on vacation. Since I have been home I have polished up the lesson plans, gathered last minute needed "stuff" for science and history. I am ready to start school on Wednesday. However I must say it still does not feel like summer is over! I am looking forward to this year.This year I have a 10th grader and a 12th grader. Plus my oldest is graduating from Radford University. Lots of milestones this year. May will be a busy month at our house.
Books I am Reading:
I am currently reading The Help. Good book! Wanted to read it before I saw the movie. While on vacation I read Skys Bridal Train ( a book by a local from MN, a christian and homeschool mom, and a friend of my sisters). Good christian historical fiction. I also read Gianna. This book is about an abortion where the baby survives. The baby has ceberal palsy so I found a lot of common denomiators in the book and was captivated by this girls story.
I have finished the Old Testament and am on to the new! I do believe I will reach my goal and finish by December! I will be doing The Daily Bible with my sister and her mom starting in January. Really looking forward to this accountability and fellowship ( even if its long distance!)
In the Kitchen
Lots of creative things going on. All of us are working on eating less and making  more healthy choices. We have pulled out the measuring cups, are adding up the calories, and trying as a family to do much better. Although I do plan to make cinnamon rolls for the first day of school. I am working on a week of meals. We tend to cook too much food so I am learning to pare down recipes. Variety is so important when dieting. Thus I need to get really creative.
Around the House and Garden:
I will be weeding all week. Being gone for nearly three weeks afforded the weeds a pretty good foothold. Someone tried to steal one of my rosebushes. Thankfully the bush did not give up! ( so many thorns I am thinking detered the theif). I was able to get it back upright and it seems to be fine. The theives did manage to get away with a smaller vinca plant.
I hope to get into the craft closet and pull out knitting and crochet and that quilt that I need to finish. Its time!
Here is a photo from my vacation. Thats my sisters parents and I at her brothers house. We had fresh Walleye from Lake of the Woods. It was amazing.

And we did a lot of this on vacation as well as here at home. We love to sit out by the fire.
 The one above is in Minnesota. The one below in Virginia. Just cannot get enough cooking on the fire and fellowshipping with the family.

Our big boy waiting patiently for his hot dog.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time. We enjoy using firepits too. We are having one today, if the rain holds off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the firepit photos! We just got one, and we can't wait for true autumn to set in so we can really enjoy it! Glad you had such a nice trip, and such good time with family :-)

    Blessings and {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you made it through Irene.

    I can't believe how fast time flies. DD is into week 5 on some of her subjects already! Won't be long, and I'll have to be figuring up her grades for the 1st six weeks of school!

    I hope you have a wonderful school year. And good for you for getting your planning done. I know that is a huge help to one's frame of mind to know that is out of the way for now.

    ReplyDelete


Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Psalms 143:8