1/30/2009

Show and Tell Friday: Gods Math and Knit One Purl One


This will have to be a tell with no show as I am unable to access our picture folders.

This week our church food pantry was blessed with an extra free order of food. We were picked to receive this and what a blessing it is. A few days before we got the call for the free order we had placed our usual food order with the food bank. We were also blessed to be able to use our son's bosses truck.

So we arrive to pick up our order, not being told just how much there is you can imagin our surprise to see two pallets loaded high! We filled the truck and a mini van to capacity. Over a thousand pounds of food.

Gods Math

Our order came to only half what it was orginally! So we got over a thousand pounds of food for 57 dollars!  Because pictures explain better the volume I will be posting as soon as I can.

We worked hard that day getting it all loaded and unloaded. Organized. It is such a blessing to bless others in need.  ( Imagin pictures here!)

My other tell for the week is knitting.  ( another picture here! ) I have finally got it! Its not perfect but I get it! Took me years to get it. ( Crochet is easy) I used two books that I recommend for learning and videos recommended by Mary.

Knitty Gritty Knitts by Vickie Howell  Simple, explainations, great pictures. But the projects are too hard I think for a beginner. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781579909161-2

Knitting by Anne Akers Johnston  This is a klutz kit book. We got a bunch of these from Operation Blessing to give out as Christmas Gifts. old editions. This is a great book! Easy step by step with large pictures. Easy beginner projects. Here is the new edition. http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Knitting-Learn_To_Knit_Six_Great_Projects/1591743842/

Here are the videos that Mary suggest. They are awesome for us visual learners.  http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit   And its free!

A book I do not suggest: The Complete Idiots Guide to K nitting and Crocheting bt Gail Diven and Cindy Kitchel  Because the pictures are too small. Too many words that really do not explain it well for a novice. Sometimes simple is just the best!  Its all in black and white.

So why am I learning to knit? ( I really would rather crochet!) Because I have a goal. 200 stocking caps for the homeless by October! We get donations from folks ( dollar tree, ect) and thats awesome. But I began to notice the street folks did not loose the homemade, knitted caps as much as the cheap hats. I talked with them about it. There are two reasons. One: each hat is unique thus harder to steal as it is like no other. Two: the hand knitted hats are very warm and fit well.

Now I do not plan to knit 200 caps all by myself. I am learning how, finding a simple pattern and sending it out to all my knitting friends who in turn will send it out to all their friends ect. If any of you have a really simple pattern please let me know. I am a novice at this.

Why 200? We hand out about 40 a month from October through February.

So there you have my tell without the show. Pictures to come soon!


8 comments:

  1. YEAH !!! I am so happy you are getting it ! What a GREAT goal I am sure God will totally provide !! I will look for some patterns that would fit the need. I have a site or more to recommend. I hope this week end to find them for you ! [0=


    I LOVE love love God's math don't you !?! I cannot wait for the pics. [0=


    Sending you a HUGE ((HUG)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary


    PS: I am using the same site to teach myself how to crochet. For some reason I have never really got how to crochet and I find knitting easier. I wonder why ? I always seem to be backwards to others. LOL


    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see pictures! As for knitting thanks for recommending books. I would like to learn to knit this year and was wondering what books to use! Thanks!

    Toni

    http://thehappyhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing of God's blessings, He is so faithful!


    What a great motivation to learn how to knit. I've always wanted to know how to crochet.

    Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Tina, what a blessing you received this week! I can't wait to see the photos, because you're right - it's difficult to picture all that food. Oh, I'm so happy for you!


    As for the knitting - well, that is one thing I want to teach myself this year. I don't know anyone around me who knits who could teach me, and I probably wouldn't make time to go sit with them anyway - I'm terrible about learning from others! I'd rather just teach myself. One of those things to do when the temps soar to 118* and we don't leave the house for ANYTHING, lol! Thanks for the resources - I'm sure I'll be checking them out. =o)


    Have a great weekend!

    love,

    Shani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I envy you with knitting. I never learned how and I wish I did. I love to look at things people have created and such... will we see photos next Friday??


    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you can do all that. I'd love to have some real time to learn how to crochet and knit... maybe I can try again after I pass my recertification boards this spring.


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I don't think I have ever seen 1/2 tonne of food packed into a minivan and truck before! Wonderful blessing.


    Great goal for your knitting, too. I look forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful blessing! I can't wait to see the pictures of all that food that God has so abundantly blessed you with.

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete


Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Psalms 143:8