11/19/2011

This Week at Our House: Week 11 of School

This weekend proved productive. We found ourselves in the attic in search of all the Christmas boxes. I really wanted to find them all and get them near the attic door before decorating day. Nothing worse than trying to describe what is missing ( only a mom really knows which ornaments and such are missing) and sending a child or husband in search of it. I vow to better label the tubs this coming year. Emily found her tub of 21 Nutcrackers. We went through the tub and took out the ones in need of repair. So thankful I am not a nutcracker that is broken! ( thats a vice grip)

Ever tried a new recipe and discovered it was awful? Well that happened this weekend. It was a sausage casserole. Thankfully we have a large dog who thinks it is very good.
I spent a great deal of time planning a menu with what is in our fridg freezer. I am really trying to come up with new recipes and get out of the rut of fixing the same old stuff week after week.  Part of being in that rut is that we are ( like so many) on a tight budget and get use to doing what works on the budget. So far only a few new recipes have caught my attention.
Emily has been teaching herself how to crochet ( because mom just cannot get past the basic stitches) She is using videos on line. She made a lovely flower and started a hat this weekend. I on the other hand spent hours trying to learn how to make the flower...sigh!

Monday found me coloring my hair. ( yep I finally gave in this past summer and am now covering the grey), helping with homework, cleaning out the fridg, doing laundry, running Naomi to an appointment and enjoying the sunshine. Can you believe its still in the 70s! Its amazing outside. Emily and I went to our favorite park and enjoyed the beautiful fall colors. Dinner was a favorite ( after this weekends blunder I had to do something they loved) General Tzo Chicken and Rice. I cheat and use a store bought sauce. But its worth it because they love it. Also made yeast rolls for the week.

Tuesday I was off to work ( I clean homes), the gals off to enrichment classes. In the afternoon  we finished up school, worked on crafts and prepared dinner. Mini Sliders on Yeast Rolls. Our evening was spent at Tuesday Church. Naomi helped teach this week and did a fabulous job. She already leads praise and worship.
Wednesday still finds the temps in the near 80s so the AC had to come on. Its is humid here in the south. Naomi and I went to work and Emily did all of her school by noon. This left us with plenty of time to work on crafts. I also made a regular loaf of bread and a lovely cheese loaf. We did dinner and a movie ( in the living room) Dinner was tacos with all the fixings.
Thursday dawned much cooler, cloudy, windy and wet! Feels much more like fall. Quiet day at home while the gals are at enrichment classes. Took the time to do some deep cleaning.  Dinner was marinated beef. I like to make my own marinade. Start with 3 parts oil to one part acid ( lemon juice, orange juice, or vinegar) and add:
2 T Thyme, 2T Oregano, 2T parsley, 1T Rosemary, 1/4 t cheyenne, 1T paprika, 1/2 t salt, 2 T sugar  and  Rub on meat and let sit in fridg ( covered) for 24 hours. (I sliced the beef very thin and let it soak in the marinade for stir fry) Quick fried it and served with noodles and veggies. 
Friday was again a warm and beautiful day. Lots of errands and a lunch date in the morning. We got school done in there somehow. Date night with my hubby and crafting in the evening.
Seems like a rut: school, eating, cleaning and crafting. But it is productive.School takes time, crafting takes time and in there somewhere is work and normal everyday stuff like mopping the floors, laundry, and scrubbing toilets. At this stage of our homeschooling the gals do nearly all the work themselves. I guide them, assist when needed and make sure the work gets done. I do miss the days of all hands on school!
The beautiful weather has been kind to my roses! They are growing huge and blooming profusely.

8 comments:

  1. Those roses are gorgeous! It sounds like you had a great week. I am glad I am not that nutcracker either.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to see areas that have different weather than my own....here it is cold. Down to freezing at night. We have troubles finding recipes that will suit everybody in our family between pickiness and food allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so weird to read about warm weather. We are barely getting out of the 40's lately and today we've been in the 30's. Those roses are pretty. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are having beautiful weather. It's been cold here. Today started in the 30's. Have you ever checked out this web site? http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

    She has a lot of great recipes that are economical. The Tortilla Soup and "Fried" Chicken are some of our favorites.

    Enjoy your weekend.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I could take having to turn on the AC again...though I don't mind a little warm weather! But it is starting to feel more like winter is coming here in Chicagoland. Just has that cold "bite" to the air.

    Photos of your hair, puh-leeeze! Can't wait to see!

    Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely catch-up post! I so enjoyed the nature photos interspersed throughout.

    To try to add a little variety to your cooking while living on limited pantry storage, check out: theprudenthomemaker.com. She has a wonderful recipe section; I love her site! Hope that helps. :)

    What are you up to this week? We are working hard on getting lessons and housework and dinner prep finished by Wednesday evening so we have a FREE weekend with DH. Are the kids all going to be home this holiday? Are you staying home?

    Blessings and ((hugs)) to you, my friend!
    Shani xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures of the flowers are beautiful! Wow, and coloring your hair, too? What a week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure Sisko did not complain one bit about having to eat your "awful" dinner! Hopefully he wasn't too stinky later.

    ReplyDelete


Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Psalms 143:8