Our education style over the years has changed from "by the book" to an eclectic mix of books, unit study, lapbook and notebooking and a very hands on approach. This year we will be going back to the book for most topics at the kids request. They love doing an occasional lapbook and love notebooking history, nature and art. They know mom will always choose hands on if possible for Science. They appreciate that mom had to do all the spelling , vocabulary and other stuff because they knew we did not have cash for curriculum, I have to agree with them! The time spent on preparing lessons on the fly for unit study or lapbooking was well worth it to me. However I do not have the time and energy at this point. I was feeling guilty and gave it to the Lord. He gently reminded me to come back and give all our school over to him on a daily basis. Thus we prayed for a plan for each child, curriculum, and cash.
I found I did not need to buy too much. I was able to borrow, barter, trade, and find stuff on sale. We were blessed with unexpected cash ( why is it unexpected if I am asking the Lord for the provision?!)
Here is what the gals are doing. They are in 7th and 9th grade. I combine Bible, History, Geography, Art , Sign Language,and Science.
- Bible: We will use MOH study and a daily devotional.
- Saxon Math : already had the books.
- MOH 3 : This was costly but the Lord answered the gals prayers! And I got it at a discount!
- World Geography: A simple four dollar workbook. The gals need to work on this area of study. We are not up to speed!
Physical Science : Had the book and lesson plans are on line.
- Houghton Mifflin Grammar&Composition : Had the book. Found in free box at our local homeschool bookstore 5 years ago. ( the whole set 7th through 12th grade with answers)
- Wordly Wise Spelling : Brand New! The gals wanted a workbook this year.
- Art of the
Renaissance Period We will be doing CM Style study and are quite excited about it!
- American Sign Language : Two books from our homeschool bookstore at a very reasonable price.
- Chinese : Free on line program. ( 12yod)
- French : Free on line program ( 14yod)
- Piano I barter for the piano and voice lessons.
- Old World Literature We use the kids grandfathers college literature text. It is a fabulous set.
12yo will continue to pursue photography hobby.
- 13yo will continue to pursue architecture and drafting hobby
For our 17 year old ( 12th grade):
So that is the plan. I have accomplish most of the details and we are nearly ready to start school. Joyful to know that God is the source of all wisdom and knowledge and I do not have to know it or do it all! "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" 2 Timothy 3: 16 ,17